Table of Contents
24 September 2019
James Black visited the Alehorn, asked about the fight, and said he might call on the PCs later. Bockhind returned to an empty house, then returned to the Alehorn. Ilikan returned to Agnes's house, told her about what happened, then returned to the Alehorn. Iniza returned to her family, received a commission from her mother, then returned to the Alehorn. “You” had a dream. The PCs then interrupted a deal for a potion, which led to the potion being spilled, which led to a woman aging into dust before their eyes.
10 September 2019
The PCs (particularly Ilikan, Tessia, and Bockhind) engaged the duergar and pacified them. The bailiff, James Black, arrived and took them away, then the party celebrated at the Alehorn and discussed visions of a crystal tower.
27 August 2019
The PCs were out behind Alehorn watching the annual fight during Chalica when they witnessed a massacre breaking out in the Thousand Year Inn. They then engaged.
We want an overall upbeat tone, with some grimness, a bit like The Princess Bride.
We want to include:
- Certain “mundane” magic that's used by everyone – brooms sweeping the streets by themselves, etc.
- A focus on character drama, like a TV drama
- Family of the PCs are relevant
- Building to something substantial, but not the end of the world
- A twist in perceptions (this person you've known all along is actually…)
- Underdark exploration
- Clear separation of OOC and IC conversations
- Perhaps no standard classes
We want to avoid:
- Frequent fights with the undead
- Time travel
- Stories driven by the gods
Common magic items include:
- Crystal rods that glow on command, used as torches
- Sconces with magical flame that extinguish or light themselves on timers
- A stone horn that blows a continuous cool or warm breeze
- Sending stones
In addition, anyone can do the following 1-3 times per day:
- Animate a broom to sweep one level of a small house
- Animate a shovel to dig a hole for an hour
- Start or extinguish a fire up to 1 foot in size
- Freeze or unfreeze a pot of water
- Purify a cup of water
- Create a gust of wind
- Slow their fall from a height (from lethal to merely painful)
- Many food stalls have magic “burners” or “chillers” in the tabletop to cook food on the spot or keep it chilled.
The Player Characters
- Coritha is playing Seventh Undercloud (Seven), a tabaxi monk learning humility by serving in the Alehorn tavern
- Jenny is playing Iniza Nevari, a tiefling drunken master fighter and part of the nefarious Nevari liquor distribution family
- K is playing Ilikan Anakalathai, a goliath blood hunter in search of her mother
- Luis is playing Bockhind Diamondear, a deep gnome trying to find out why there's increasing danger in the underdark
- Mark is playing You, a Mammon tiefling hexblade warlock
- Sean is playing Tessia, a minotaur paladin who helps run the Alehorn tavern
The game is set in the city of Thane's Landing, which contains a large castle. It is the primary residence of Lord Henry and Lady Margery Bedford (nee Heathcote), and their teenage children Joan, Ella, and John. Their crest is a black eagle on a field of blue. They also control the nearby towns of King's Hill, Queenstown, and Borelfell.
The nearby Heathcote family controls the towns to the northwest (Raven's Crossing, New Torsdale, and Lowmarsh). The Underwoods rule the towns to the south, but they're rumored to be in league with the pirates of the nearby sea.
Beneath all this lies The Underdark.
Nearby villages: Deerfell, Riverton, Drakesmill
Larger area map: